Life-forms We Can’t Live Without
Shoots, Roots, and Other Important Plant Parts
Ready, Set, Grow!
Food from the Sun
Minerals from the Soil
Plants Make Life Possible
Food for Life
Plants and People
The Source of Many Things
- Breakfast cereal (rice, corn, wheat, soy)
- The cardboard box the cereal came in (wood fiber from trees)
- The chair and table you sat at for breakfast (wood from trees)
- The books and paper you use at school (wood fiber from trees)
- The air you are breathing now (oxygen from plants)
- The clothes you are wearing (cotton, linen, and hemp from plants)
More than Just a Pretty Face
Plants and the Environment
- Trees and other plants hold the soil in place so that wind and rain don’t create severe erosion.
- Fallen leaves and rotting wood help enrich the soil other plants need to grow.
- Shade from trees and large bushes keeps us cool. Shade also provides places for wildlife to live and hide.
- Trees create homes. A large old tree 40 m tall may be the home of over 1,000 species!